10 NOV 2022
BruCERT has received several reports of a phone scam impersonating a local bank in an attempt to obtain sensitive information such as name, identity card number, credit card details and other personally identifiable information (PII).
- Exposure of personal or financial information
- Identity theft
- Financial loss
- Be very careful about giving out personal information, especially to people you do not know.
- Verify the legitimacy of the caller by calling back the organization that they claimed to be representing.
- Do not respond to questions or requests without proper verification.
- If you suspect the call to be a scam, record the call as evidence and report it to the respective organization.
- Report the scam to the police if a threat has been made.
- Remember that banks will never ask for card numbers or passwords via telephone.
- Do not answer a call if the caller’s phone number looks suspicious.